Friday, November 30, 2007

Thermometers and temperature


Apparently the ideal temperature for smoking a pork butt is 210-222 degrees. Thinking I would get the best results from the right equipment, and I didn't want to sacrific our nice instant-read digital probe which would not do well coated in smoke goop.


I searched for a replacement thermometer for a BBQ or smoker. It was harder to find than I thought - I ended up at a BBQ store with 2 choices - both $20. I got the large dial version so I could see it from a distance. It's rugged, and it's made for smokers, so it has areas marked for smoking and barbecuing. How could I go wrong?


But then I noticed that the new thermometer never seemed to register as hot as the digital probe - sometimes off by as much as 60 degrees! As a test, I place both into boiling water, to see if the would register 212 degrees. They both did, so they are both accurate! Apparently the smoker thermometer works best when submerged in liquid. Hmmm... (as I write this, I wonder is there's a way to achieve this in my smoker..?)


Anyway, after I determined that this problem sucks, I decided the best approach is to have both instant read and the rugged thermometer side-by-side until I learn the characteristics. And it's not so bad (at least I hope.. I haven't yet cooked the meat entirely) because the markings on the thermometer are pretty good - just ignore the numbers. I'm still considering drilling a small hope for an instant-read - especially if it turns out the butt I'm smoking is overdone.


Attempt #1 (tri-tip) was badly overdone. I think it's mostly because the meat awas too close to the wood as it burned. I've already raised the grill away from teh heat source, and lowered the hardwood, to increase the distance from the meat.


Attempt #2 is smoking right now. I'm using a $2.99 instant read thermometer I picked up yesterday - It seems to be helpful.

No comments: